Wye Near Lofton and Roanoke District Double track

Sun Oct 1 22:20:56 EDT 2006

Ok, Nathan, it takes a lot to get me fired up enough to go to the archives
and do research, but I did Sunday afternoon. I was looking for an AFE
that justified the reduction to the double track section, but never did find
it. (so fire me!) What I did find was this:

1- the double track was reduced between the issuance of Shenandoah
Div. timetable effective May, 1957 and the one that became effective
October, 1958 OR during Single Track Saunders' administration.

2- the double track had been placed in service in 1943 - 10.47 miles long.

3- the wye (ahem) sprang from the northward main track north of the station
at Lofton. Forgive me, but it's translated on the "R" side of the mile
post
rather than the "H" side. The south leg of the wye was at MP R 76.9 and
the north leg was at MP R 77.1. This was from the track chart updated
to 04/01/52. Sorry I couldn't be more accurate, but I didn't have the
proper
scale.

4- The wye was on the east side of the right of way, so Jimmy is right.
Harry Bundy