Hagerstown Transfer / Hagerstown Jct

Mon Oct 2 12:48:04 EDT 2006

The N&W (now NS yard) has been known as Vardo since the early diesel
era, at least. (Terry Marshall, are you there to comment?)

J. Kelling, Greenbelt MD

To answer two of the questions:

The Hagerstown icing facility was in Shomo Yard. Also known as Vardo.
I have a photo somewhere which shows the icing facility in the
background. It looked like the typical icing facility, but only
large enough to serve one or two tracks. It is too long of a story
to tell here, but Shomo yard dates from about the time of World War 1.

N&W and PRR shared a freight station in Hagerstown. It was
approximately two city blocks north of the passenger station. The
building is still there, now owned by the Union Rescue Mission. This
was actually north of the end of N&W track. N&W facilities in
Hagerstown were joint operations with wages and expenses split
somehow between the two companies.

Rick Morrison

!