Roanoke District double track

Tue Oct 3 19:38:29 EDT 2006

>Robb,

> The problem is you are trying to use traffic figures to justify

>something that caused operational problems. If they were so hell bent

>on reducing the amount of track why didn't they leave the part where

>trains could pull over both sides of the mountain before they had to stop?

> I thereby stand by my first reply!!! Good night!

>Jimmy Lisle

Jimmy,
Using traffic figures to justify infrastructure has been going on for quite
a few decades. Show me some train sheets that have the daily northbounds on
the line during the 60s ,70s, 80s and 90s and there's all the justification
needed. Any trackwork reduction will cause operational problems, but at
some point it has to be done. Would you rather have a job or lose a few
miles of double track, regardless of the headaches it causes? As for
operational problems... N&W probably figured they had competent engineers
who ould and could do the job they were paid to do, and that these
outstanding employess would be a solution to the problem.

Rob Fisher