VMT vs NCTM

Fri Oct 20 05:57:58 EDT 2006

Well well well,
Looks like I've stirred up a hornets nest! My apologies. This was not my intention.
I'm just a little disappointed with our Commonwealth's lack of concern for this end of the state. I mean, there's another 200 miles of Virginia PAST Roanoke, and we really don't get much attention. Ever heard the saying "Virginia ends at Roanoke"? Its a common phrase around here.

Ron, you are correct. You have valid points and I agree completely with you. Spencer has the advantage of a great location, an interstate and mainline railroad, and an old servicing facility that was no longer needed. So, they have a great facility with which to work, whereas Roanoke doesn't. I understand that.

Also though, it takes a lot of volunteers with a vision, and an inspiring leader all working toward a common goal. That is what bothers me about VMT. I don't see a vision, a common goal, or an inspiring director or leader that's out there saying "Come help us at VMT! Here's what we're gonna do, and I need YOUR help to do it! For your help you get free admission, blah blah blah."

My vision (or call it daydreaming if you will) is this: A trainride leaving from the platform at VMT behind whatever motive power can be mustered and going west down the southernmost track through the railyard down past Shaffer's Crossing and then returning. (No, NS wouldn't want to do it, but I never see anything operating on that particular track. I believe the right political muscle could get it done.)

That means you'd need somewhere to work on something, and that is another part VMT is lacking. So, take the parking lot on the west end of the building, which has a track coming into it, and build one. Get a grant, donations, whatever...

I know what you all are thinking. It'll never happen. You're probably right. If only Virginia would change its attitude from "What can't be done" to "What CAN be done".

Ben Blevins