VMT vs NCTM

Fri Oct 20 18:29:21 EDT 2006

I decided that I might as well chime in with my own comments and pipe dream.

The locomotives and railcars at VMT are crammed together and difficult to photograph. I visited the old site just prior to the flooding, and eventual relocation to where they are now, and while tight, you could get decent photographs there.

The equipment is kept on the North side of the building, which shades them most of the day, again making photographs difficult. This is especially true during the Winter months.

Some sort of rail-ride would greatly increase visitation, but as stated previously, NS is not going to give the room or permission to use their rails.

When I decide to travel to a museum site, I look mainly at the ability to shoot the equipment, and whether or not any rides are offered. VMT has a nice collection, but it is not displayed to it's fullest potential. Arranging small scenes using several pieces of equipment would be nice, and provide photographic opportunities, even night shots. Don't have a roundhouse? Build a facade, like they do in Hollywood, to represent the stalls, or a depot. Both sides of the wall can be utilized creating two scenes in a limited amount of space, with some minor carpentry work. A VDOT sound barrier wall would be a sturdy starting place on which to create the front of the stalls, etc..

Now, for a real pipe dream....

I live in the Tidewater area, and most of the East Coast is aware that BRAC is looking hard at this area for closing bases. Ft Monroe will close soon, and Oceana, NAS is not out of the woods yet. If, and that is a BIG if, Ft Eustis would ever come up on the closure list, the railroad on that base is exactly what this State needs for a succesful rail museum. It is a prototype model railroad! There are two loops around the base, a nominal sized yard, and a capable repair/machine shop. Perfect for steam, diesel, dinner trains, etc...

Now the even bigger pipe dream.

Get the people at VMT, the Old Dominion Chapter, the Tidewater Chapter, and the bases own Transportation Museum to join hands and work together, without a bunch of bickering or trying to one-up another group. All groups are striving for the same common goal, the preservation of the States rail history. Hanks Yard is more than capable of storing all of the equipment from these groups in one location. Nearby rail access is from CSX's ex-C&O line. A bus station is at the gate of the base providing travel options, and it is just off of Interstate 64. Everything that Spencer has is at Ft Eustis.

A LONG way off, but still nice to think about...

Regards,

Russell Underwood