Decreased traffic??

Mon Nov 27 18:44:56 EST 2006

It is my understanding that the bridge out of service is the CSX
crossing of the Anacostia River in NE Washington DC. That is the
former B&O freight line which accessed Potomac Yard and which
bypasses the Union Station tunnels. Amtrak trains, and perhaps some
freight which can meet clearance limitations can still use the
line. I think the freight runs are limited to night hours. I
checked the Trainsmag website to verify this.

While traffic has decresed on the former RF&P, we are seeing more
traffic on the Valley line via Hagerstown. I passed a CSX powered
freight heading south while I was on my way to work this
morning. I'm not sure which route these detouring trains use south,
or east, of Front Royal.

Rick Morrison