Train Numbers

Fri Jan 26 07:45:15 EST 2007

Mr. Smoot:
You're indeed correct -- no service facilities at Kemper Street. More-
over, there was an unusual labor agreement covering N&W crews
operating on the Southern. The train crew (conductor, flagman,
brakeman) were relieved at Kemper Street Station by Southern crews
on trains north (Southern direction), but the engine crews
(engineer and fireman) went through to Monroe. Southbound
Southern trains were furnished with an N&W engine crew at Monroe,
and the N&W train crew relieved the Southern people at Kemper
Street Station. One of the engineers operating Nos. 3 + 4 at the
time it was discontinued at one time had been assigned to operate
Roanoke-Monroe and it was known he'd amassed a fortune playing
poker with the Southern crews during the Monroe layover. The crew
arrangement is what caused me to do more research on Nos. 9 and
10.

Unfortunately, there are gaps in the timetables I have, but by using
an N&W public timetable and Southern employee timetables from the
Danville and Washington divisions, I was able to determine that No. 10,
for example, became Southern's No. 142 at Montview, where it
transferred to the Southern. No. 141 (Washington-Montview) was N&W's
No. 9. In 1949, No. 141 left D.C. at 12:30 AM, arr. Kemper Street at
7:35 AM, Lv. Kemper Street at 8:15 AM, arr. Roanoke at 9:30 AM, lv.
Roanoke at 12:40 PM and arr. Bristol at 6:40 PM. No. 10 lv. Bristol
at 1:00 PM, arr. Roanoke 6:10 PM, lv. Roanoke at 1:00 AM, arr.
Kemper Street at 2:15 AM (as SOU No. 142), arr. D.C. 7:50 AM. I don't
have a Southern public timetable from that era, so I don't know if
passengers were handled north of Lynchburg. Could be the coach on
No. 10 was emptied at Kemper Street, and switched out at Monroe.

I can't tell you when the service to and from Lynchburg was inaugurated
nor terminated. It was in effect in 1949-50. I can tell you No. 10 usually
had four or five head-end cars and a coach. One source of passenger
traffic was Bristol's girl's schools. At Christmas and vacation time, the
students would ride No. 10 to Roanoke and transfer to No. 26 or to No. 2.

Harry Bundy

P.S. I seen your pitcher in the newspaper.