Roanoke Rail walk

Thu Feb 1 17:11:52 EST 2007

Those hoppers are VERY old, with the fishbelly sides and clamshell
doors. I think that clamshells were on their way out by the
mid-20s. IIRC, from Dow's book, almost all steel hoppers built with
clamshells were rebuilt with conventional hopper bottoms, losing
their fishbelly sides in the process, fairly early on.

pete groom