Y Class rebuilding possibility

Sun Mar 11 15:38:06 EDT 2007

Bud and Ed: One thing about making castings is that the casting process has
numerous uncertainties in it. One of the real hassles is when one of the
cores falls apart or looses its surface sand into the molten metal. Thus
sand is distributed throughout the metal, making machining really nasty as
the cutting tools cut through little pockets of sand. This casting would be
too porous to use. Wears the heck out of the cutting tools, too!

Also, if the risers aren't right or didn't work right, there will be a lot
of porous metal in the casting.

So, did the shops make extra parts? It is conceivable to me that the
foundry may have made more castings than necessary to rebuild the Y-5's,
anticipating some scrap. Also we do not know how many were poured as
reserves for repair parts. A big casting sand pattern can take a couple of
weeks to prepare and assemble. Then one has to consider how large a melt
was needed to make the pour. The foundry may have only been able to heat up
a large amount of metal under restricted conditions, thus forcing
consideration of pouring extras for reserve when the foundry was capable of
handling the task. If a Y class was smashed in a wreck, how soon did the
N&W management expect the loco to be rebuilt and returned to service?

Another nasty feature of castings is that they have a lot of internal
stresses in them fresh out of the mold. Machining a 'green' casting is
likely to cause significant distortion which may misshape the casting beyond
use. To stress relieve them, one needs to vibrate them for a time, soak
them in high heat for some hours, or let the sit out in the back lot for 6-9
months. The vibratory trick wasn't invented until WWII time period.
Furnaces big enough for a cylinder set may not have been readily available.
How did the backshop choose to handle this problem?

So, maybe the N&W made extras that proved to be unneeded, but were used in a
rebuild because of their obvious value to reduce maintenance and improve
performance? Hard to say, and the company records may not give sufficient
details to ever determine what caused what.

Gary Rolih

Cincinnati

_____