N&W Serving the Plum Run Quarry

Sat Mar 17 22:27:06 EDT 2007

I have a question about what types of cars were used by the N&W to service the Plum Run quarry near Peebles, Ohio, out here on the West end (as well as perhaps other quarries elsewhere on the system). I think I recall a post some time ago from Gary Rolih stating that the railroad acquired a good deal of ballast from this quarry so I would assume some type of ballast hopper was used. Were other types of hoppers, gons, or other cars used for other quarry products? Would they use coal hoppers to transport quarry products?

Bob Simpson
St. Paris, OH