Today Show

Sat Mar 31 19:44:58 EDT 2007

I don't recall seeing this program, but that doesn't mean anything. However
there was another NBC program on Sunday afternoons called "It's a Wide,
Wide, World" or something to that effect. Dave G. was the host of this show
too. I think it was set up to highlight TV in general and push the envelope.
I recall they did a one hour or 90 program on railroads. All of this done
live. They would have their local affiliates run down to the track or yards
or stations with their studio TV cameras and run the cable back to the TV
station. I think the TV stations themselves were connected by coaxial cable.
But what was really amazing was how the show was scripted. It was live, not
on tape, but they had really done their homework and timing so that when
Dave was talking about what a railroad yard does, the cameras were showing
switching operations somewhere, and they showed cleaning cars, went into
towers, and all sorts of stuff. They also did programs on aviation. I seem
to recall that the railroad one had a lot of images coming from St. Louis
and then the aviation one did too, so that NBC station in St. Louis must
have been really busy taking their studio cameras out on the street or down
to the yards.

Robert Mee
On Microsoft Outlook