New Conversions

Mon Jun 11 19:55:06 EDT 2007

I'm sorry to hear that 1589 is in the process of being converted to an RPU6. I have fond memories of that particular diesel, as it accompanied the 611 on its return to the Bristol Line. Here's a photo I took of that occasion, dated in my files 29 April 1992.

This was taken at Glade Spring on the wye track as 1589 pulled 611 around the west leg of the wye. As I recall, the steam behemoth got stuck in the super tight curve and the SD40 had to pull the 611 through it. Then, 1589 led the way on into Bristol with 611 running backwards behind it.

The excursion was on May 2, 1992 from Bristol to Radford and return.

Who'd have thought, 611 still remains, but 1589 is no more (at least in that form.)

Ben Blevins

These are the only two N&W units that are used for remote control ops.

>Jerry Butler

More appropiately, they're the only two RPU6s built so far using former N&W
SD40s, though 1589 is undergoing conversion (the rest of the RPU6s are
former CR MT6s)...

Plenty of other former N&W units, mostly slugs, are used in RCO... almost
all the remaining RP-E4 and RP-E4D slugs are now RCO equipped, as are 2 of
the 4 RP-E6Y slugs.

There are also a few N&W SD40-2s (other than the RPU^ masters) that are RCO
converted... 6132, 6139-41, 6143-48, 6165 & 6175...

>Anyone have an idea as to which mother it will get? Cal Reynolds.

N&W SD40-2s 6178-6205 were all converted to masters for the RPU6s... 6202 &
6203 are RCO equipped themselves.

Robb Fisher
RFDI