other drumheads

Thu Jun 14 19:48:48 EDT 2007

Frank:

There is a picture of the Memphis Special with an open platform
observation with drumhead in one of the N&W books. I think its the
book on N&W passenger service. The Tennessean used a square end
observation which had green lighted square drumheads on each side of
the end door/diaphragm.
The obs was only on the end of train between Washington-Bristol
briefly. When Pullman service was entended north of Bristol the obs
ran "mid-train" until they were withdrawn and scrapped in the mid
'50's. Southern recycled their trucks for use on new coaches.

The " New York Train" did have a name at one time, sorta. The
Cumberland Valley Railroad called it the Shenandoah Special even
though it only ran on their line the 70 miles from Harrisburg to
Hagerstown. I think it was CVRR train 13 and 14. My great
grandfather worked for CV and was struck and killed by #13 in
Chambersburg in 1912.

Rick Morrison