Virginia Scrap Iron & Metal Co. yard

Sun Jun 17 00:23:55 EDT 2007

Ned Wright <parkview12004 at yahoo.com> wrote:

Didn't Op trainees do this?...

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/120871

June 17, 2007

Good morning, Ned:

I like the closing lines of this article:

"The museum is trying to raise $100,000 to transport
some of the last remaining steam engines and old
railroad cars in the U.S. to the museum for display,
Fitzpatrick said. Right now, they're sitting in the
Virginia Scrap Iron & Metal Co. yard, which is slated
to close soon.

'It is time for us to step up and help,' Young said."

While I'm a proponent of saving what can be saved, it
seems like the funds would be better spent preserving
what the VMT already has, not adding to its burden
with what are substantially unrestorable steel hulks.
Otherwise, the museum may become the new Virginia
Scrap Iron.

Best wishes,

Frank