1907 - Catawba Valley Railroad

Fri Jul 27 23:08:43 EDT 2007

Roanoke Times - July 27, 1907

Catawba Valley Railroad

There is a gratifying and contagious air of activity and hustle on
the line of the Catawba Valley railroad and at the Salem glass plant
these days. Both are being pushed to completion with all possible
speed, and soon we shall hear the cheery whistles from the engines of
both. The engine and crusher were moved to the mines of the company
in the Cove this week, and we are told the contractors will begin
laying the rails on the track next week. By the time this is done the
glass plant will be finished and equipped with machinery, and an
enterprise will then be fully launched which promises to be of great
value to the community. -- Salem Time-Register and Sentinel