request for information

Wed Aug 1 20:35:48 EDT 2007

Hello:

Here's a page that I've used quite a bit to identify reporting marks, and it's organized by first letter of the reporting mark.

http://www.pwrr.org/rrm/

There are other pages as well, and a quick Google search returned several other sources including:

http://www.nrhs.com/reporting_marks/

http://www.nakina.net/report.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reporting_mark

All equipment (locos included) is identified by reporting marks containing up to four alpha characters, and any mark ending in "X" identifies equipment owned by an owner that is not a railroad. However, CSX is a railroad and it does own its own equipment, so to identify itself as such, they added a "T" to their reporting mark to comply with the rule.

Hope that helps,

Ed Cake

All railroad cars are identified by either the name of the railroad or by four letters _ _ _ X, which identify the owner.

Can any direct me to a site or book that gives the owner information behind each four letter code?

Thanks

Peter Heimbach