Early east end Diesels

Wed Aug 8 15:37:19 EDT 2007

And I remember my father, sitting in traffic at Wards Corner complaining
that "they" were only "allowed" to tie up a street for ten minutes. And
of course, it was often longer.
I just liked looking at the train, even then. But then the Navy was
still a big coal customer in the '60's too. Remember all those steam
pipes along the fence line at NOB? (Amphib Base at Little Creek too, but
that's another story and another train!) Somebody correct me if I'm
wrong, but wasn't the little yard between Adm. Taussig Blvd and Camp
Allen (NAS on the other side of Taussig) the Navy's holding yard? Or was
that part of Sewells Point?

Tom Cosgrove

NW Mailing List wrote:

> *About 1961, Crewe elected to route a drag to Sewells*

> *Point, instead of Lamberts Point. It passed Tidewater*

> *with five 4-axle units, both EMD's and Alco's. It was*

> *toting 256 X 0. Tonnage-wise, it probably didn't compare*

> *to today's trains because it was made up of 50, 70, 85-ton*

> *hoppers, but it certainly tied up Granby Street for a*

> *while.*

> **

> *EdK - a Motive Power man here in Roanoke made a *

> *statement about early dieselization - "We'd assign*

> *five units and hope that three would be on line at*

> *the next terminal". Care to clarify that statement, say*

> *in 15 words or less ?*

> * Harry Bundy*

> Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL.com

> <http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour/?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000982>.