Early east end Diesels

Fri Aug 10 12:10:13 EDT 2007

Harry - Carl had a sense of humor, all right.

They sent him to Brewster as Supt. and he was being shown around; the "show-er" stopped him in front of a large photo of one of their 2-8-4s and was waxing ecstatically about its capabilities. When he finally ran down, Carl put it right into him: "Nice little engine", Carl said . . .

EdK
Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2007 8:08 AM
Subject: Re: Early east end Diesels

Thanks, Ed. In the early days of dieseldom perhaps things
really weren't that bad. I caught a Chicago coal train out of
Bellevue one Sunday afternoon - an SD-45 and three other
assorted units, 114 cars. The engineer had'em in "Run 8"
leaving the New Connection when the trailing three units shut
down. The fireman went back to try to remedy the problem,
but couldn't. I guess it was an M/U failure. The SD-45
toted 114 cars and three dead units all the way to Fostoria.
The engineer was squeamish about going any further for fear
the SD-45 would shut down and tie up the world. It was Sunday,
so a passenger-geared GP-9 was appropriated from Blair Yard's
week day crew and we went on to Ft. Wayne after going in the
hole at North Findlay to meet six eastbounds. Those SD-45's
were something else.

The late Carl Lewey - I can't speak for his mechanical
expertise. I'm not mechanically oriented. But I'll certainly
remember him for some of his statements:

"My family moved to Crewe and we rented a house for $65 a
month. The clerk told me I'd been gouged."

En route to Norfolk on No. 4 for an impending strike- "Not to
worry. We;ll have diner tonight on Dick and come back
tomorrow." We got back four days later.

"The best place I ever lived was Iaeger. May family had an
apartment over a service station of U.S. 52".
Harry Bundy