Special at Bristol

Thu Aug 16 20:27:41 EDT 2007

Ed, you are correct. You know the territory! : )

I live right at the end of the former McMullin siding just before it drops off toward Seven Mile Ford. There's a big cut right behind the subdivision.

Ben Blevins

Ben - you live on McMullin Hill, which always had speed restrictions on the curves . . .

EdKing
Sent: Sunday, August 12, 2007 4:09 PM
Subject: Re: Special at Bristol

I can remember when the Bristol Line was all but dried up totally. Now, its a whole different story. We have a train every couple hours on average most of the time.

The section of track I live on is the section between Marion and Seven Mile Ford. Many curves, reversing, through deep cuts, and definitely not something I would want to ride 65mph through. You'd better be setting down in your seat when taking these curves at that speed, or you'll be spilled out on the floor!

Ben Blevins

Until 1970, N&W had two sections rated for psgr train
speeds of 65 MPH - Walton to Bristol. They were:
Max-Meadows - Marion
Seven Mile Ford - Bristol

There were speed restricted curves in the two areas,
the reverse curve at Snapp comes to mind.

Prior to the merger with Southern, N&W was
contemplating removing the traffic control. There
were only the Roanoke-Bristol trains, RB-3 and BR 2
and a week day local that worked as far as
Wytheville , then turned back. Wednesday was the
day set aside for the local to work the Abingdon Br.
Harry Bundy

http://list.nwhs.org/pipermail/nw-mailing-list/________________________________________