J - Class Headlights

Fri Sep 7 07:14:16 EDT 2007

I was told at the time the original headlight was still acceptable
under FRA, but the reason for the change was to simplify the
availability of replacement bulbs, one less specialty item to carry
around with them. It was a simple job to replace the inside casing
with a diesel type fixture.

The 611 was the only J equipped with a dual twin-sealed beam
headlight, and that was only after the rebuild to excursion service
in 1982.

Ken Miller