Naming the Powhatan Arrow

Mon Sep 24 23:03:06 EDT 2007

Vince Albert,

I'm sorry that it has taken so long to develop an answer to your question about your great grandfather who might have named the Powhatan Arrow.

An article in a 1946 N&W Magazine (I'll have to recheck to see which month) states that Mr. Leonard A Scott, 63-year-old retired section hand at Dry Branch, VA received the $500 Grand Prize for sending in the winning name, Powhatan Arrow. His suggestion was selected from among approximately 140,000 entries (including my youthful suggestion, the Woodland Flyer). The names and hometowns of ten other people were listed as receiving $25 each, but their suggestions were not given.

The Magazine relates, "Within a few hours after the name, 'The Powhatan Arrow,' was picked, the tall gray-haired prize-winner was found walking along a road near his home at Dry Branch, several miles west of Radford [not really -- Dry Branch is on the line to Bluefield west of the junction at Walton where the line to Radford diverges]. He was told of his good fortune by S. J. Hale, Radford Division superintendent, and representatives of the Magazine and Advertising Department."

Another item of interest, "He remembers when G engines were the largest on the railroad...and when pusher engines helped trains over the old line across Schooler Hill, near his home [in those days Dry Branch would have been tinetable west of Radford because the direct line from Walton to Dry Branch had not been built]."

The article mentions a daughter, "...Mr. Thelma Edith Albert of Parrott, VA...." Considering that her last name is the same as yours, I assume that Mr. Scott was your great grandfather.

If you will send your mailing address to me at
hamilton at nwhs.org
I'll send you a copy of the piece about Mr. Scott..

Gordon Hamilton

Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 07:52:52 -0600 (MDT) Subject: Special Request >From New Member. From: azvinnie at treknet.net To: membership at nwhs.org

Hello!

I apologize for bothering you with this question, but this is the only email address I've ever received any response from.

I was just told by a former N&W employee that he remembers reading a story about my great-grandfather naming the Powhatan Arrow. In the N&W Magazine. Could you possibly put me in touch with anyone who might have even a photocopy of that article?

The gentleman who told me about it didn't remember even what year it was, and I'm going to start online search, but would really aprreciate any help.

Best Regards, Vince Albert