Stone Arched Trestle

Sun Sep 30 16:01:41 EDT 2007

Bruce,

The stone piers in the James River were not part of the Valley
Railroad. They belonged to a siding which ran off of the nearby C&O
to reach a quarry on the south side of the river. One wonders why the
N&W did not service this business as it was already on the south side
of the James River. A local swimming pool off of US-11 now resides
near where the grade runs south from the stone piers. I do not
believe that the existing cement business beside the pool was ever
associated with the railroad or the siding. Maybe someone else can
shed more light on this area.

Ron Davis