Cromley, Ohio

Tue Oct 9 15:43:52 EDT 2007

The 1910 Annual Report is the first one that lists double track extending from East of Cromley, O., to Columbus, O.

Evidently it was done in 1909 . . .

EdKing
Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2007 1:56 PM
Subject: Re: Cromley, Ohio

Hi Gary:

Do you happen to know when double track was completed to this point (Cromley)? The location of the side track would put it in the current location of the eastbound (southbound) track. Was there a series of sidings that were tied together to make double track to this point?

Whit and I appreciate all of this great information you all are providing us.

Eric

From an old reference book of mine written by an N&W RoW engineer between 1893 and 1898, Cromley, Ohio was the location of a passing siding of 2800 feet of length and 2500 feet of clearance at MP 682 and 1020 feet. It was on the south side of the track (west is towards Columbus so this is on the compass east side of the line). No other notes on Cromley are in this book, station, train order office, shanty or whatever.

In this book, stations are noted (but not at Circleville as the sheds were on the mainline and tied back into the C&MV station and crossing, MP675.68) at Hopetown (MP 659 & 1163 feet), Kinnickinnick (MP662&3170 ft), Kingston (MP666&1824'), Elmwood (MP668&2809'), Hayesville (MP671&1346'), Ashville (MP684 &2019'), Duvalls (MP688&393') Lockbourne (MP691&1591') and Reeses Station at 694 & 414 feet. No station at Cromley.

Now, lots of postcards and old photos show Circleville C&MV station, Kingston has a least two postcard shots, and Duvalls has a shot in the valuation photos, Ashville has numerous shots and one , possible two postcard shots, and Lockbourne one shot. Kinnickinnick, Elmwood, Hayesville , I have never seen photos of – but I didn't realize that Reeses ever had a station.

Interestingly enough, this book calls out a Bell's Elevator Siding at MP 676 and 2145 feet, in the Circleville area proper. But it makes no note at all of Bell's Crossing w/b out of Circleville a couple of miles. There was a Scioto Valley Traction station there and I have a photo of that which shows the station and the SVT underpass under the N&W.

From the book:

For Circleville

Mile
Plus feet
Station
Name
Company or Private
Side of track
Connection
Total length
Clearance length

675
2317 (?)
Circleville
New passing siding
Company
Both ends
1089
789

675
1718

C&MV transfer
Company
East end
2054
1904

675
1800

Dunlap's siding
Company

East end
336
218

675
2536

Nile's siding
"
East end
73

675
3382

Cross over
"
West
160

675
4965

Strawboard #1
"

East end
64

675

Strawboard #2
"
East end
148

675

Strawboard #3
"
East end
46

676
619

North end of Strawboard
"
West end
129

676
728

Mill Switch
"
Both
614
314

676
1731

Scheleyer's spur
½ Private
West end
321
171

676
1746

Warehouse and Coal
Company
Both
1611
1311

676
2010

Crites Spur
"
East
170
75

676
2145

Bell's elevator siding
"
East
320
160

676
2289

Main Street cross over
"
East
147

676
3081

Store track
"
Both
831
531

676
3231

House track
"
Both
575
275

676
3803

Passing Siding
"
Both
2307
1987

677
729
Circleville
Canning Co.
"
West
854
686

682
1020
Cromley
Cromley Passing siding
Company
South
Both
2800
2500

684
1213
Ashville
Elevator spur
company
south
west
1162
1012

684

Ashville
Scioto Canning Co.
private
south
west
1225
1120

684

Ashville
Coal Track
private
south
West
356
206

684

Ashville
Ashbrook's Siding
private
South
West
319
169

684
2019
Ashville
Station siding
company
north
West
1477
1177

Note that the coal track at MP 684 was a private track probably for a coal yard and not a coal dock for the railroad.

Given the level of detail that this book goes into, I would have to say that Cromley had little there but the passing siding. The N&W never had the traffic on this line early that would justify a tower at the end of a passing siding to control the siding switches in these early days. I don't think the N&W ever had any of these type of towers on the Scioto Division. Interlocking towers? Yes, at Vera, Glen Jean, Renick, Circleville, Valley Crossing and Bannon.

Gary Rolih

Cincinnati

Eric at CG Tower
http://www.cg-tower.com

No Trees were harmed in sending this message.
However, some electrons along the way were inconvenienced.