Naming the Arrow.

Fri Oct 12 16:29:37 EDT 2007

Hello, all. My first post here, to thank those who generously helped me get
a photocopy of the
May 1946 N&W Magazine article about my great-grandfather winning the contest
to name the
Powhatan Arrow. Thank you!

Photocopy now lives in a binder with some original photos of the
presentation of the prize check
and ticket for the maiden run. Also the punched ticket itself, and photo of
boarding in Roanoke,
ticket in hand. These items, along with his railroad watch, were begnning of
a small collection of books and items I'm always trying to add to for future
generations. Still looking for original copy of that magazine, but I'm sure
that one won't be easy to find.

Childhood home was in river bottom right beside the right-of-way in Dry
Branch, VA. So I still
remember the J's in regular service, later generations only saw them on
excursions. But no matter what was going on when one of them came through,
everyone always just stopped whatever
they were doing and watched until they were clean out of sight. Those were
the days alright... .

Vince Albert