Pearisburg Photo Question

Sun Oct 14 15:08:20 EDT 2007

It is possible that it was just a quicky extension of an existing siding. It is common practice on todays railroad to throw together an extension with as few ties utilized as possible when the siding needs to be lengthened to house M-O-W trains or one time shipments.

Gary Price

I don't know the reasoning of that wide spaced ties either, however I had
never noticed this before in images at this location. Checking with the VT
N&W images at this locations does shows the wide spaced times in late steam
days & early diesel days. The "N&W Steam in Color" August Thieme photo is
dated 5/4/1957.

In this one particular image, you can see that the "siding" ends at the
base of the cliff where the photographer is standing.

http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/F1/NS3433.JPG

Other similar images:
http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/full/ns1428.jpeg
http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/full/ns1428.jpeg
http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/F1/NS3432.JPG

Looking west towards the cliff:
http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/F1/NS3432.JPG
http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/full/NS2924.jpeg
http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/full/NS2925.jpeg

These images looking railroad east are taken from atop the cliff where
route 100 is located. Due to tree grow, a similar image today is pretty
hard to get.

I have a large N&W publicity colorized version of this location with what
appears to be a Y powered west bound freight. Framed print is labeled "A
Norfolk & Western Fast Freight in Virginia". The siding is NOT in this
print. Know if it didn't exist then, or was taken out via "photoshop".

- Roger Link