Question About Norfolk Area

Wed Nov 7 08:03:48 EST 2007

Dave, Jeff-
You're correct; it's spelled Dare. The natives,
and I'm not talking all the Johnny-come-latelys,
pronounce it Darr. The Dare County dialect
is very discernable - the synonym for the 10-cent
coin is pronounced something like "doe'em".

There are two prominent families in Dare County-
the Midgetts and the Tilletts. Other than fishing,
Dare County had no major industry, so most
found employment in the Coast Guard, which
is known as the" Midgett Navy". The Coast Guard
recently commission a cutter named the Midgett.

Dare County was served by the Norfolk & Southern.
And Jeff, I still have my RF&P stock. CSX didn't
get it all.

Harry Bundy