Photo info. Q: (NW Mailing List)

Mon Nov 12 02:42:54 EST 2007

I cannot reconcile the details of the photo with any of the bridges
along the New River or East River. Specifically, the ground dropping
off behind the road beyond the bridge, and the rock face in the distance
just do not fit. Evevy place I can think of with the creek on the left
and the road curving where the train woulde be downhill would have the
background hill starting right behind the curve of the road. Along the
East River, the background hill should be closer and significantly higher.

The nomination of Buchanan is a good one. The major features of the photo
- the creek on left, the road curving left with a valley beyond - fit the
location, although many of the details have changed in the years since,
with the road being paved and the quarry entrances having being modified
and widened. From the road today, tree growth has hidden the rock face
from view, at least while the leaves are on, so I can't be 100% certain.
But I'd wager that rock face is still visible from rail level in the
winter. I agree with Jimmy Lisle.

Joe Shaw
Blacksburg, VA
http://www.krunk.org/