North Carolina Branch (Pulaski to Galax/Fries)

Fri Nov 16 07:45:33 EST 2007

Mike:
Andre' makes a good point - train volume. I might
add that there were many places on the NC
Extension that weren't easily accessible. Louis
Newton's RAILS REMEMBERED - VOL. 3 has a
chapter on the North Carolina Branch with pictures
and a map printed in N&W's 1890 Annual Report
which shows the proposed route from Galax to
a connection with the Cape Fear & Yadkin Valley
at the NC/VA state line. Since you live in Shawlotte,
you may have paid the premium on a life insurance
policy and driven north on I-77. Louis Newton notes
that the survey shows the proposed route would
have crossed I-77 about 3 mi. north of the NC/VA
state line. N&WHS's '08 Classic Calendar also has
a company photo of Bridge #1518 near Ivanhoe
being strengthened to accommodate engines
larger than a Class G (PLUG! PLUG! PLUG!).
Harry Bundy