N&W in 1904 -- Jumped Track

Sat Dec 1 10:46:23 EST 2007

I guess I never realized that the railroads have ALWAYS had such problems
with vandals. I remember reading about kids who derailed a Conrail freight
train in the 80's by pulling all the spikes out of the ties and taking out
the bolts that connected the rails; if I'm not mistaken, a couple of
trainmen were badly hurt.

Of course, I was vacationing in the mountains of NC several years ago and
met an older guy who said that he and a friend, during the Great Depression,
would go and surreptitiously grease the rails of Southern's 5% climb up
Saluda mountain. The train would stall, he and his friend would "suddenly"
show up trackside and looking for work, and the railroad would pay him and
his friend to go "clean up the rails".

Mike Weeks

Charlotte, NC