Class A ?

Thu Dec 6 22:14:10 EST 2007

Jimmy,

When others pointed out that the objects that you questioned are aftercoolers for the air compressors, I decided to see what I could learn from drawings in the NWHS Archives. I searched the database during the monthly work session today and came up with the following:
Drawing E38919, dated 1/13/43, and Drawing E40713 (Style 1), dated 3/1/45, both show the application of Wilson Radiators (aftercoolers) to Class A locomotives as shown in the picture that you attached. The Wilson Radiators in the two drawings appear at a quick glance to be almost identical.

Drawing G46832, dated 7/25/56, shows the application of a Westinghouse A-2 aftercooler to Class A locomotives. This is the large flat radiator-like device that can be seen in some photos on the front of the locomotive above the pilot.
Judging by the above drawing dates, both devices would have been applied as a modification to many existing Class A locomotives.

Incidentally, the picture that you attached appears to have been copied from a publication with a caption that places the locale in Roanoke. Both Louis Newton and I do not believe the scene is in Roanoke. We think it could be Lamberts Point.

Thanks for raising the question. It piqued my interest to learn something about aftercoolers.

Gordon Hamilton

Sent: Sunday, November 25, 2007 4:39 PM
Subject: Class A ?

Can anyone tell me what the two boxes are underneath the running board and ahead of the air compressor are? They seem to only be on the low numbered A's. There are several other photos in "Mercedes..." showing the boxes.
Jimmy Lisle