Alexandria steam circa 1958-59 ???

Tue Dec 11 00:37:25 EST 2007

>2) He also seems to remember that the Fruit Growers

>Express had a fireless cooker and that was in the

>vicinity of where you remember. Maybe they hadn't

>charged it up in a few years and the regular service

>diesel by that time was out of order and they charged

>it up. ???

The Fruit Growers (FGE) had a 0-6-0 Coal Burner as a spare
in case the diesel 2+2 was down They also had 2 steam derricks
(Coal) working in the late 50's.

The Southern Washington Division steam (Oil Burner) wrecker derrick
was in service until the late 60's or early 70's This is what I think
was seen on
the Main line.

>3) This could also have been a steam powered derrick

>as the railroads used those until very late.

>Just a few thoughts.

>I doubt we're going to get anything other than a

>mystery here but at least it's been given an airing.

>Bob Cohen

>Mark, all you saw was smoke rising above the trees?

>Maybe it was just an ALCO! They were called honorary

>steam locomotives because of all of the smoke they put

> > out!

> > Jerry Kay, Portsmouth, VA

This was on the RF&P This was the remaining 0-8-0
Pot Yard switcher, I do not remember the number.
It was sold and left the yard in late 52 or early 43, I
don"t remember who got it

>and a steam

>switcher was reactivated in the Southern yards

>during the Christmas rush.

This was an USRA 0-8-0 Number 1912 but was told by
Mr. Small the Master Mach. that it was sent south in January
of 53 to be scraped.

I remember the the B&O ran a steam frt. into POT YD in the fall of
53, but nothing after that.

H.B.Lyon