50 th anniversary at Rural Retreat

Fri Dec 28 08:16:07 EST 2007

Dave,
I'll bet its the same man. I met Mr. Newman shortly after I graduated high school in 1989. He and I were hired at the "new" Walmart in Marion when it opened. He was a people greeter, and I was a stockman. At that time he was in his late 80's or early 90's, and he was still working part time. I was always asking him questions about how things used to be. I wish I'd written down some of the things he told me. He loved to talk about it, and I loved to listen!

But anyway, I do believe he was from the Rural Retreat or Wytheville area. His last years were spent at the Maylands retirement home in Wytheville as I recall.

I'll be watching for those photos in the Arrow. Thanks again!

Ben Blevins

Ben,

I hope there's a very good chance of one of the photos being published because I submitted a modified version of the discussion board post to The Arrow with a full high-res scan of the 603 photo (NW1630) and an alternative version of Link's well-known photo of Rural Retreat with southbound 17 (NW1634), both courtesy of the Link Museum. I hope they will appear in the next Arrow.

OWLM is working on a program to eventually make most or all of Link's photos available in some form either at the museum or on the web, but I don't know exactly where that effort stands at present. They are definitely working on it.

The Dallas Newman you mentioned may well be the same one in the photo I referred to. As a matter of side interest, there's a connection between Dallas Newman's family and Greek Blackard's family (he was featured in Link's Bank of Crockett photo). I'll have to check with some of my relatives in the Wytheville area again about this. They're the genealogy experts in the family!

Dave Stephenson

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs