N&W in 1903 -- New Rail

Sat Dec 29 20:12:49 EST 2007

Craig,

"PS" stands for Pennsylvania Standard although I have see it listed as Pennsylvania System, which I believe is spurious. The Pennsylvania RR billing itself as the Standard Railroad of the World developed several rail sections for its use. For example the 155PS stands 8 inches tall.

You are right about re-lay rail being rail that has been taken up at one location, typically on a main line, and re-used on a secondary line or in a yard. Some railroad people use the term "fit rail" for such secondhand rail.

Gordon Hamilton
Sent: Saturday, December 29, 2007 4:00 PM
Subject: RE: N&W in 1903 -- New Rail

I'm not familiar with the term 'PS'; please explain. I guess 're-lay' means that the item had been elsewhere and is being re-used at a new place. I have heard this term applied to ties.

Craig Close
Balimer, Merlan
OK: Far West Catonsville
OR: Greater Oella