Reusing Signals (was VGN Morri Branch)

Tue Jan 1 09:14:33 EST 2008

I have often wondered what happened to all the signals that were removed on the Bristol Line through the years. Signalled sidings were removed at Wyndale, Hayter, Meadowview, Chilhowie, Seven Mile Ford, McMullin, Atkins, Groseclose, Crockett, Grubb, Kent, Max Meadows, Granite, Wurno, and Melborn. Bracket signals were removed at all these locations, as were most of the 9'8 cases. The home signals had the lower arm removed, and were thus converted to automatic signals. Many were left at their original locations, so they had no opposing signal. The only realignments I am aware of were at Wyndale, Chilhowie, McMullin, Crockett, and Kent. Hayter was completely removed, home signals and all. Wyndale was retained as a control point only. The rest were left at their orignal locations.

I assume all the removed components and such were reused in other places.

I wonder why some of the signal installations were realigned, and others weren't. Anybody know why?

Ben Blevins

More than anything else, I believe searchlight signals were installed because of scarcity in
position light equipment, so I've been told Could Union Switch & Signal have supplied more
position light equipment ? I don't know. Two years before, N&W had converted the Winston
District from Automatic Block (with 19 short sidings) to traffic control (with two signaled sidings;
a third, Philpott, was added later). The branch to Belews Creek required additional signals also.
N&W respaced signals on the Norfolk Division and got a dual benefit - it extended the block
length and the surplus signals went to make traffic control on the Winston District a reality.

Harry Bundy

See AOL's top rated recipes and easy ways to stay in shape for winter.