One pump or two?

Wed Jan 2 00:26:34 EST 2008

The Y3 on the turntable has one pump. I almost made a fool of myself the
first time I saw it, mistaking the empty space on the boiler front for a
big gusset in the truss. Nope! Compare with the other end of the truss.
That is a bald space on the engineers side of the boiler front. After
that I went back to the builders photo of Vgn 900 (became N&W 2000) and
concluded that it has only one pump. Hard to be sure from a side view,
but I think it is a single pump (As were the W&LE 2-6-6-2's when built).
So my bet is that the engine on the turntable is one of the first Y3's
and that N&W retrofitted it with the second pump after this picture was
taken. Apparantly USRA was being frugal, and delivered the engines
intended for Vgn to the N&W without adding the second pump. N&W knew
better, and all subsequent Y3's were delivered with two pumps. Jim Nichols