REA cars

Fri Jan 4 04:45:08 EST 2008

Dave asks "What Railway Express "mechanical reefers"?
I was under the impression that all the Agency's cars
were icers."

January 4, 2007

Good morning, Dave:

I have much to learn about REA and its equipment. My
basis for the express mechanical reefer is based on
1967 observation of Washington & Florence RPO train
376's consist --better known as RF&P-SCL "Everglades,"
which departed Alexandria at 6:51 PM daily. I thought
I saw REA mechanical reefers at the head end behind
the engines. However, that's (gasp!) 41 years ago and
I was also less aware of equipment types. Even if
those observations were correct, there is a
significant difference in what REA operated in 1952
versus 1967.

For what it's worth --and thanks for pointing this
out, Dave.

Happy new year,

Frank
f_scheer at yahoo.com