Camp Cars

Fri Jan 4 09:01:28 EST 2008

In January, 1971, an extra gang was laying welded
rail between Waverly and Disputanta. N&W was
still using converted box cars and heavyweight hand-
me-down passenger equipment to house the employees.

By my recollection, the camp cars were parked on the
Wakefield middle track and during the night, the trains
passed a few feet away from the sleeping (?) laborers.

Lunch ? A truck brought several vats of beans and
cornbread to the work site in 25 degree weather.
Water ? A scavenger filled bottles at a "mom + pop"
store on U.S. 460.

To get more time at home, the extra gang worked four
10 hour days. On Thursday, the gang knocked off
in time to collect their belongings and board No. 3
for home. N&W didn't allow the gang to mingle with
the revenue passengers, so a labor car was provided.
After a brief time at home, the members would have to
catch No. 4 on Saturday in order to be back in place
for work Monday A.M.

Appears that conditions have improved, but certainly
NS must have found a better place to park the equipment.
Harry Bundy