Camp Cars

Fri Jan 4 22:52:37 EST 2008

Sam Putney wrote:
And guys, I love to be near trains as much as any railfan, but to say that living in a house near railroad tracks is analogous to being housed in a metal box six feet from trains that are rushing by all night is, well, insensitive at the least.

Well, this is one thing I can vouch for, because the Bristol Line is sixty feet from my bedroom window. Sam is right. It is not the same as being in a camp car. I've never had to sleep in a camp car, but none the less, it is not a fair comparison.

My house does not go WHOOSH as a train passes it, or rock from the wind off the train. The ear piercing squeal of a wheel flange is dampened by the thermapane windows and brick walls of the house, unlike the camp cars, which have single pane windows and thinner walls. I could go on, and on. Fellows, living in camp cars just ain't a fair comparison to living beside the tracks.

And yes, there's much more to this subject than meets the eye. It gets complicated. So, in order to stay on the good side of my employer, I'll try to keep my comments unbiased if you don't mind.

Ben Blevins
Assistant Signalman
NS Eastern Region Signal Construction
Gang 677