9 light PL arm

Mon Jan 7 17:51:41 EST 2008

"The photo is an N&W Photo numbered 30421, dated 28 June 1943, and the inscription on the back said [in effect] a westbound tank car train west of Shaffers Crossing."

Bud,
If we are speaking of the same photo, with the rooftop apparent just ahead of the cab and the fencing along the top of the embankment, I would be very leary to call this location "west of Shaffers Crossing".
I think it is more likely about halfway between 16th St. and 24th St. on the Shenandoah Ave side. There is now a signal base on the bank that has been partially uprooted and it could possibly be from this same signal.
I remember one of the Pocahontas Glory videos having a clip of a westbound J in this area, so maybe this signal might show up on it. When I first viewed this clip, I was amazed at how much the Shenandoah Ave. area has changed over the years.
Jimmy Lisle