The Cost Savings of Steam Today.

Fri Jan 11 09:48:43 EST 2008

That's one handsome locomotive!

John Carnahan

In a message dated 1/11/2008 6:58:24 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org writes:

People who may well have looked at some of these issues are the A1 Steam
Locomotive Trust in the UK - see limited details at
http://www.a1steam.com/design.html - who are engaged in building and
then operating a Peppercorn A1 steam locomotive on main line and
preserved lines.

Tornado is close to being complete, and due to enter mainline service
this coming September.

Dominic Pinto
London

NW Mailing List wrote:

> Ed,

> Why don't we take a look at the man's work before we pick it apart?

> The diesel-electric locomotive is a very efficient machine but so is a

> steam turbine. It's about the best steady-state machine out there.

> Granted there are lots of questions to be answered, especially

> emissions and fuel processing but let's hear the plan.

> Rick Huddle

<snip>