Modern Steam

Sat Jan 12 10:25:09 EST 2008

Ben,

> John,

> After reading your reply to my query, I took the time to read through your

> paper. I must say, you have done some serious number

> crunching, calculations, and research on this subject. I think your

> professor should give you a very good grade on it. I would! Your effort in

> this has been enormous. You have my compliments.

Thank you. It took a very long time and a lot of number crunching. Thanks
for your vote of support.

> As I already stated, I'd be more than happy to endorse steam use today. I

> feel we, as a nation, should not be energy dependent to outside countries.

> Whether we truly are dependent on them or not is a political issue, and I

> won't get into that.

Yes energy independence is a very worthy goal, but not an easy one.

> About ten years ago I came up with an idea for the "What if?" category,

> but never built it. It was a J class locomotive with a safety cab similiar

> to the GE cab on the front of the engine, with the old rear cab closed off.

> This was to be a "What if the diesel never came along?"

> If the diesel had not been developed, then that would have allowed

> continual development in steam technology, which as you more or less stated

> in your paper, has advanced drastically since the "modern" steam locomotives

> were designed decades ago. And yet, only in the last few years have diesels

> began to compare to steam horsepower and tractive effort of the 1950's. If

> steam R&D had never stopped, I have no doubt they'd be much higher that what

> you calculated, because they would have kept pushing it higher. N&W's Y7

> was to be a mammoth, high horsepower engine. As we all know, it never made

> it past the drawing board.

If you compare Tractive Effort per driving axle on N&W steam to diesels.
Everything before the SD70 was less than the N&W locos.

> As much as I would love to see steam on the class 1 railroads again, I

> have to admit it would be a hard sell. I think it would only be possible if

> diesel became so hideously expensive, or in such short supply, that it was

> causing them to operate at a loss.

It would be a hard sell. And an expensive conversion.

> But again, my compliments on the paper. That was a lot to put together,

> and I think you did it well.

> Ben Blevins

Thanks again for reading it.

John Rhodes