The Cost Savings of Steam Today.

Sat Jan 12 19:18:50 EST 2008

Alex,

You are correct I didn't include much information on coal price
volatility. This paper was more of an overview. Sometime maybe I
can write the uncondensed book version. I left a great deal out on
the account of length.

On Jan 12, 2008, at 9:58 AM, NW Mailing List wrote:

> John,

> I glanced through your paper to see how you had addressed the

> volatility in coal pricing and assumptions about type of coal used

> to achieve a desired BTU. Not very much information was reaadily

> apparent other than a reference to EIA forecasts which I looked at

> and saw oil and coal price trends were expected to stay the same.

> That leaves me with a number of questions since the paper is about

> economic analysis of alternative fuels. Besides which various

> other respondents are addressing the operational and engineering

> factors.

I was using the 4 high BTU coals tracked by the EIA. Northern and
Central Appalachian, Illinois and Colorado. Each Class I RR had a
different coal blend based on geographic region. For instance the
comparison for BNSF and UP was using 75% Colorado Coal and 25%
Illinois Coal.

> 1) Are you using mine face pricing or delivered pricing. I

> calculated you were using about $41.50 per ton of coal which I

> assume is delivered price?

I was using spot market prices. Contract prices would however be
lower than these.

> 2) Given different coal types produce different BTUs do you

> consider the price difference in type of coal you use? (For the

> week ending Jan 4 2008 the variability in pricing was $58/ton for

> 12,500 BTU coal from Applachia to $11.60/ton for 8,800 BTU coal

> from Powder River. That is a 5 to 1 pricing difference for type of

> coal.)

Yes all the comparisons where adjusted to take into account the
different BTU's of the coal. IE more or less of a certain coal type
would be burned per hour to produce the ton-miles per hour or engine
hours( in the case of a comparison involving local switching or yard
switching).

> 3) What is the variability in transportation cost for railroads

> located near and far from the mine face?

> 4) How would a 6.2% increase in coal production requirement affect

> the coal price and therefore affect your conclusion? (THis comes

> back to the type of BTU you want.)

> 5) How would successful coal gasification affect the price of coal

> (increased consumption) and oil (reduced consumption)?

I don't have this data.

> Alex Schust

John R.