N&W in 1903 -- Fredrick J. Kimball

Wed Jan 16 21:36:24 EST 2008

CITY COUNCIL ADOPTS RESOLUTIONS OF SYMPATHY
------
Business Will be Suspended in this City as Mark of Respect to Dead President
------
At a special meeting of the city council held at the city hall yesterday the following members were present [eight names listed].
The following preamble and resolutions were unanimously adopted:
Whereas This body has heard with personal sorrow and regret of the death of Mr. F. J. Kimball, President of the Norfolk and Western Railway Company, and well knowing the kindly interest which he always took and manifested in the material welfare of our young and growing city and his great efforts for its upbuilding, we deem it proper as a token of respect for his memory to make some public and official recognition of the esteem in which he was held by our people, and do make, publish and ordain the following resolutions:
1st. Be it resolved that we have heard with profound sorrow of he death of Mr. Kimball and tender for his family our deepest sympathy in this the hour of their distress.
2nd And be it further resolved as a token of the important esteem in which he was held by our people, and in kind remembrance of him that all business be suspended from 10:45 a. m. to 10:55 a. m. today.
3rd And be it further resolved that a copy of the foregoing preamble and resolutions be officially signed by the mayor and recorder and forwarded to the family of the deceased.

At 10:45 o'clock this morning the whistle at the shops will be sounded and the court house bell rung as a signal for the suspension of business and at the end of the ten minutes the same signal will be given for the resumption.

Bluefield Daily Telegraph
July 30, 1903

Gordon Hamilton