Saving Engines

Fri Jan 18 17:30:22 EST 2008

Very interesting! I'm surprised by the light weight of the boiler &
firebox (adding in the weight of the flues) relative to the all-up
engine weight.

I've often wondered how loco designers estimated the weight of new
loco designs. We all know that they didn't always get it right: vis
the C&O H8s!

pete groom
On Jan 18, 2008, at 5:16 AM, NW Mailing List wrote:

> From the Office of General Supt. Motive Power, Jan 26, 1943,

> revised Jan 10, 1944 (Table, WEIGHT OF SCRAP - STEAM LOCOMOTIVES)

W2
Weight in working order - 175,100 lbs
Scrap weight, estimated at 83% of wt in working order - 145,330 lbs
Axles and rods - 5,810 lbs
Bronze - 900 lbs
boiler and firebox - 27,610 lbs
Extra Heavycast iron - 23,250 lbs
Flues - 7,900 lbs
Tires - 5,600 lbs
Misc unsorted - 74,260 lbs

M2, M2c
Weight in working order - 262,000 lbs
Scrap weight, estimated at 83% of wt in working order - 217,460 lbs
Axles and rods - 8,700 lbs
Bronze - 1,300 lbs
Boiler and firebox - 41,320 lbs
Extra Heavycast iron - 30,440 lbs
Bed castings, driving wheel centers - 6,520 lbs
Flues - 14,600 lbs
Tires - 6,000 lbs
Misc unsorted - 103,140 lbs

This table includes all classes in service at the time. Original in
NWHS archives. Have copy here, can duplicate for interested parties.

FWIW

Dave Stephenson

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs