Tuscan Red paint reference

Wed Jan 23 19:29:37 EST 2008

The Archives does not have the paint code or part number for the paint as
used on the Red Bird diesels. It appears that the painting directions and
instructions were filed in the Paint Shop and not listed on drawings in the
Engineering Department. The engineering department is where many of the
drawings in the Archives have come from. Drawings or records from the Paint
Department have not appeared anywhere to my knowledge.

Thus, the Archives cannot supply information it does not have.

Private individuals may have this information, but they have not donated it
to the Archives. That is their choice. We would appreciate it if they do!

I do have the reference for the Tuscan Red specified for the SD40 and
C30-7's that were painted in Tuscan. This is:

DUCO 282-93520 Tuscan Red which is an automotive/industrial
paint code.

Of course, this number can only be supplied in larger quantities, quarts and
up, from an automotive paint supplier who has the formula for large volumes.

How this paint can be related to model paints and a possible formula for
mixing model paints to give a similar shade is not known right now.

The Modeling Committee was formed recently- just short of a year- and has a
project list that it is working on. Paint and paint formulas is something
for the future. But, they need time to work on the priorities from their
project list. They are volunteers, too.

Gary Rolih

Secretary, N&WHS