N&W Rolling Stock Inventory

Thu Jan 24 17:21:48 EST 2008

Mr. Thompson: I assume you are seeking an Official Equipment Register?
This would list the 'size' of the class of car relative to loading it and
give the number range for the car's road number. The OER is used by the
railroad, mainly other railroads, and shippers to order the right type of
car for loading and to have a reference to the overall car dimensions for
clearance information as the car passes over another road. Of course, the
OER lists the cars for every railroad and is a master reference list for
interchange.

As I live in Cincinnati, I cannot say if we have a 1950 OER in the archives.
We probably have a few. The old N&W Handbook paper-bound by Aubrey Wiley
has a 1948 (I think it is) OER section for the N&W in it. Various N&WHS The
ARROW magazine have some sections of the OER.

As collector items, OER's were and are very collectable; most are in private
hands- and held tightly.

Do you need the entire listing of all N&W cars for 1950? Would a year near
1950 work? Please reply.

Gary Rolih

Secretary N&WHS

The N&WHS Archives is operated by volunteers every third Thursday, Friday
and Saturday of each month to perform research and log into the database new
material, drawings or images. The ARCHIVES is in Roanoke and is open to
members or the public by appointment on those days.

_____