N&W in 1903 -- Additional Dispatchers

Sat Feb 16 11:38:42 EST 2008

TWO ADDITIONAL TRAIN DISPATCHERS
------
Two additional train dispatchers have been placed upon the Portsmouth - Williamson division of the Norfolk and Western railroad. Since the removal of the division end from Kenova to Portsmouth, the length of the division, one hundred and forty miles, is so great that the extra set of dispatchers was rendered necessary. The name of the new dispatchers are Louis W. Schultz and B. B. Cross [blurred, best estimate].
Two dispatchers will be located at Williamson within the near future.

Bluefield Daily Telegraph
December 1, 1903

[This appears to answer the question I posed in my February 5 message about the possibility that the crew change point was Kenova, instead of Portsmouth, before the Smallpox epidemic of November 1903.]

Gordon Hamilton