Signal Demise/position lights/Searchlight signal

Sat Feb 16 12:32:53 EST 2008

On Feb 16, 2008 4:26 AM, Robb wrote to Ken:

> As to the question about where I saw that searchlight signal, it was in

> the NW Western Division, near Pearisburg, Va. I found it just before a

> bridge crossing over the New River from the NW side to the old Virginian

> side of the river.

> Thanks again,

> Ken McWilliams

> I believe you're referring to the eastbound signals that are at the

> control point called Celco... these are visible from the westbound lane of

> US 460 as you pass over the former Virginian. These were CPLs, but were

> replaced in the late 90s with newer Safetrans (I think) 'stoplight' style

> signals. There are very few former Virginian 'searchlight' type signals

> left, mainly in the Elmore area. (The ones at Oakvale were taken down

> recently...)

OK, which bridge are we talking about? That will help narrow down exactly
which signals we are talking about -- although I think all the VGN signals
around the Celanese plant are now Safetrans signals. As to bridges, there
is the U.S. 460 bridge (two, actually) that cross the N&W at Bluff City
(Pearisburg station), the New River, then the VGN. When traveling west on
460 and crossing the N&W, looking right/upriver, one can see CPLs where two
tracks go to one. On the VGN side, the same look right reveals the signals
at the end of the siding, now controlled by the Safetrans signals (as Robb
says, formerly CPLs). The other bridge, which it seems like Ken is talking
about, is the rail bridge on the west side of the Celanese plant that
connects the VGN to the N&W across the New River at Narrows. On the VGN
side, NS has a weigh-in-motion scale and has tried some experiments there
(unless it is still going on) with spraying chemicals on coal cars to try to
cut down on the amount of dust that blows off the load. When the scale was
built, the signals that were installed were the Safetrans Southern-style
signals. Other signal replacements on the former Radford division took place
when the Shawsville tunnel was daylighted and blocks between Singer and
Houchins were lengthened. The signals at Walton have also been replaced as
have the ones in the Narrows.

Bruce in Blacksburg