N&W 2156 in St. Louis

Mon Feb 18 22:40:49 EST 2008

Andre,

You make good sense. I think those in a position to actually have some chance of working something out with NMT have always thought that they would have to be offered something worthwhile in return. Various packages have been talked about. But I don't know if there has ever been a serious overture to the NMT.

But I agree that to cast the people in St. Louis as the heavies in this matter is unwarranted. If it hadn't been for the people in St. Louis (the 2156), Union Carbide and then Steamtown (the 1218) and Winston Link (the 611) none of the existing "Big Three" would have survived.

Sam Putney