1958 - U.S. 220 Hookup Study Urged

Fri Feb 22 21:16:06 EST 2008

Sounds like they were just beginning the design studies of what would
eventually become the Webber Expressway (I-581/U.S. 220) through downtown
Roanoke. I can attest that the Tazewell Avenue grade crossing still exists.
In fact I came upon an accident there a couple of years ago and got some
great pictures of the UP lead unit which had plowed up a bit of ballast with
a little white car. I don't think anyone was hurt, but the woman driving
was sure shook up.

Sam :Putney

Sent: Friday, February 22, 2008 7:32 AM
Subject: 1958 - U.S. 220 Hookup Study Urged